Protect Your Garden From Erosion in Montclair With Media Retaining Wall
Retaining walls are the perfect addition to many outdoor spaces as they preserve the natural environment and add extra curb appeal. There are several types of retaining walls and Da Vinci Landscape Design, LLC is happy to help guide you towards the best option. Want to learn more about your new retaining wall?
What Are Retaining Walls For?
A retaining wall is both a design feature and a structural necessity. In some situations, it is truly decorative, but usually, it serves to prevent erosion in a landscape. For example, a home with steep yard might need a wall at the base of the property. This will help keep all the soil in place, which will preserve the home’s landscape. There are several types of walls but all serve the basic purpose of keeping soil where it’s supposed to be regardless of the weather.
What’s the Right Material for a Retaining Wall in Montclair?
The best material for your wall will depend on your budget and tastes. There are three basic material categories for a retaining wall:
- • Mortared Walls: This option can incorporate veneers, bricks, flagstones and similar materials. You have plenty of freedom over the design style and theme. Because pieces are fused together, this is perhaps the sturdiest option, but it’s also the most expensive.
- • Segmental Retaining Walls: This process utilizes segmented bricks designed to fit together for an incredibly quick installation process. This method was used to build the Great Pyramids, so the end result is strong enough to stand the tests of time.
- • Wood: This is the cheapest option, but it also has the shortest life span. The look and feel of wood can be incredibly attractive and fit well in many garden spaces. However, your wall may require some extra maintenance.
What Types of Retaining Walls Are Available?
You have two basic options for your retaining wall:
- • Gravity Wall: This option depends on its own weight as a structural support. These are usually fairly short walls. The Segmental Retaining Wall is perfect for this type of wall because of the interlocking design. The wall supports the soil pressure behind it without any need for external support.
- • Reinforced Wall: You probably guessed that this option requires a little help to withstand and support the pressure of the soil behind it. For segmental walls, we use a special product called geogrid to reinforce the bricks.
How Much Will the Wall Cost?
The cost of each project varies depending on the demands of the situation. When we consult with you about the project, we will answer the following questions:
- • What soil type do you have?
- • How tall does the wall need to be?
- • Is your yard sloped or no?
- • How much pressure will be on the wall?
- • How wide and long should the wall be?
Call Us Today to Schedule Your Consultation
Do you have some questions and want to speak to a professional? Give us a quick call or if you’d prefer we contact you with more information, fill out our quick contact form. We’ll be happy to answer your questions and schedule your consultation on a day that works for you.